兩個年度「最給力的回馬一槍」答辯
TWO OF THE YEAR S BEST COMEBACK RESPONSES
背景: 在美國律師是高收入的職業,但並不十分受人尊重。因而有很多律師的笑話。
假如你有機會在法庭上作證,但願你也有跟這位警官先生一樣的機智。
這位警官在一件重罪案件中出庭接受被告律師的詢問。
這位律師想貶低這位警官的誠信度。
If you ever testify in court, you might wish you could have been as sharp as this policeman.
He was being cross-examined by a defense attorney during a felony trial.
The lawyer was trying to undermine the police officer s credibility .....
問:警官. . . 你親眼看見被告逃離現場?
Q: Officer --- did you see my client fleeing the scene?
答:沒有。 但是案發後我看到一個疑似被告的人跑了好幾條街。
A: No sir.
But I subsequently observed a person matching the description of the offender, running several blocks away.
問:警官. . .是誰告訴你被告的長像?
Q: Officer -- who provided this description?
答:是那個接到報案到達現場的警官。
A: The officer who responded to the scene.
問:是和你一夥的警官向你描述了這位嫌疑犯的長像。你相信你的同僚嗎?
Q: A fellow officer provided the description of this so-called offender. Do you trust your fellow officers?
答:我相信,我以人格保證。
A: Yes, sir. With my life.
問:以人格保證?那我問你一個問題:上班的時候你們有更衣室可以讓你們更換制服嗎?
Q: With your life? Let me ask you this then officer. Do you have a room where you change your clothes in
preparation for your daily duties?
答:我們有的!
A: Yes sir, we do!
問:那你們在更衣室有帶鎖的櫃子嗎?
Q: And do you have a locker in the room?
答:我們有的!
A: Yes, sir, ... I do.
問:那你們的櫃子上鎖嗎?
Q: And do you have a lock on your locker?
答:是的,上鎖!
A: Yes, sir.
問:好, 這是為什麼, 警官,假如你能以人格保證你的同僚都是可以信賴的,為何在大家共用的更衣室裡櫃子還有必要上鎖?
Q: Now, ... why is it, officer, if you trust your fellow officers with your life, you find it necessary to lock your
locker in a room you share with these same officers?
答:你要知道,我們的辦公室是跟法院共用的,經常會有律師穿過那個更衣室的。
A: You see, sir -- we share the building with the court complex, and sometimes lawyers have been known to walk
through that room.
這時法庭上發出一陣笑聲,庭審立即暫停。這位出庭的警官被提名為年度的「最給力的反唇相譏」獎。我們認為他會得獎。
The courtroom EXPLODED with laughter, and a prompt recess was called. The officer on the stand has been nominated for this year s Best Comeback line -- and we think he ll win.
「最給力的回馬一槍」答辯之二
Number 2:
現在我們知道他為何是位將軍. . .
Now We Know Why He Was a General -----
In an recent interview, General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harbored and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America.
他以典型的史瓦茨科夫方式回答。
His answer was classic Schwarzkopf.
將軍說,「我相信原諒他們是上帝的事…
而我們的工作是安排他們跟上帝見面。」
The General said, "I believe that forgiving them is God s function ...
Our job is to arrange the meeting."